Dienstag, Januar 15

Zum Tangotanzen - 3

"
Social dance and stage dance are two different skills. What differentiates them is intention and purpose.
The object of stage dance is to entertain the audiance. The dancer may be performing a chareography that is inspired by social dance, or may even be improvising, but the intention and purpose is to entertain people who are watching.
Social dancers may like to be watched. They may even dance better if they know someone is watching them. But the intention and purpose of social dance is to give pleasure to the person you are dancing with, and nothing else really matters.
[...]
Social dancers thrive on the comunication generated by improvised dance, inspired by the partner and the music, unpredictable and ever changing.
[...]
On the social dance floor it would be an insult to my partner to dance only for myself, or to dance for the people who are watching. If I have agreed to dance with someone, then it is my responsibility actually to dance with that person (not just to dance in front of and at the same time as them), and to dance in the way that will give my partner the most enjoyment from the experience. Getting involved with my own chareography or thinking about how I look to other people is fine, as long as it is not done at the expense of the person I am dancing with. That would be rude and disrespectful. To the dancers of the Golden Age it would have been inexcusable.
"
Christine Denniston, The Meaning of Tango: The Story of the Argentinian Dance

Keine Kommentare: